Having a massage can feel great. It is relaxing, reduces soreness, and just generally makes you feel good. Having a massage chair at home can make massages possible 24/7 any time you want. How often should you use your massage chair to get the maximum benefit? Can using your massage chair too much cause more harm than good? Let’s explore how much to use a massage chair.
- How often should you use a massage chair
- How long should you use a massage chair each time
- What are the benefits of using a massage chair?
- Can you overuse a massage chair
- Can massage chairs hurt your back?
- Are massagers good for your back?
- Negative effects of massage chair
- You might also like:
- Recent Massage Chair Articles
How often should you use a massage chair
You should not use your massage chair any more than 3 to 4 times a week. You will get any more benefit out of using it more. Using it more doesn’t allow your muscles to recover between massages. To maximize your benefit from your massage chair you should it 3 to 4 times a week or every other day. It can be helpful to create a schedule for which days you will use it. This makes it harder to forgot whether you used it too much or not already.
How long should you use a massage chair each time
You should use your massage chair for 15 to 20 minutes each time. Using it longer will not provide any more benefit. You will work your muscles enough in 15 minutes to get the maximum benefit. Massage is an exercise for your muscles. You don’t get any benefit from not exercising enough. You can do harm from exercising too much. It’s important to find the right balance where you are working the muscles enough but not overdoing it. To learn more about massage duration click here.
Using a massage chair causes your body to release toxins that were stored in your muscles. It is recommended that you do mild physical activity after using your massage chair. Walking around for a few minutes or other light activity is fine. Light physical activity increases your heart rate. This helps clear the toxins from your bloodstream. To learn more about massage and its effects on body toxins go here.
What are the benefits of using a massage chair?
Massage chairs can provide theraputic massage therapy. Going to a massage therapist on a regular basis can become very expensive. Having a massage chair can allow you to get a therapeutic massage without going to a therapist. Therapeutic massage can provide the following benefits.
- Health maintenance and/or health promotion – massage helps general tissue health and healthy lifestyle
- Stress management – Massage helps relieve stress
- Post-operative care – Massage can help reduce the need for pain medicine and speed recovery
- Emotional and/or psychological disorders – Massage releases endorphins which can help with depression
- Terminal illness – Massage helps reduce pain and discomfort that can come from long term bedrest
- Chronic pain – Massage helps reduce muscle pain by reducing muscle tightness
- Pre and/or post athletic activity – Helps speed up recovery after participating in athletic activity.
Getting a massage can help relieve muscle pain and inflammation after exercising. Massage has been shown to have similar effects as taking an aspirin or ibuprofen. To learn more click here.
Can you overuse a massage chair
Yes, you can overuse a massage chair. Massages work your muscles like any other form of exercise. Muscles need recovery time between workouts. If you exercise them too much you are damaging muscle fibers without leaving anytime for your body to repair them or add more. If you continuously over work them you will keep adding damage without any repair.
Can massage chairs hurt your back?
Massage chairs can work muscles and stretch your body and a variety of other things. Massage is form of exercise for your muscles. If you have back pain or a back condition you should consult your physician before using a massage chair just like any other form of exercise or activity.
Are massagers good for your back?
Studies have shown that massage can have positive effects if you suffer from lower back pain. It can help relieve pain and muscle soreness. To learn more click here. The below video discusses some of the benefits of massage chairs for back pain.
Negative effects of massage chair
There are a few negatives that can come from massage chair use if your not careful. Here are a few.
Pain and soreness – If you are using a massage chair for the first time, start at a low level. Massage chairs have no set standard for how intense they are. Some can be very aggressive even in medium settings. I was quite shocked the first time I sat one at what it was able to do.
Circulation – Massage chair use can increase blood circulation and stimulate lymph nodes. If you have a history of blood clots or other related conditions you should consult a doctor before using a massage chair.
Bruising – overuse of a massage chair or using it on too high a level can cause muscle bruising.
You might also like:
- The Best Massage Chairs Complete Buyers Guide
- The Best Massage Chairs Under $3000 And Helpful Guide
- The Best Massage Chairs Under $1000 And Helpful Guide
- The Best Budget Massage Chairs Helpful Guide
- The Best Massage Chair For A Tall Person
About the author
My name is Doug Ryan. I am a homeowner and love having get togethers and finding the best things to make spending time at home easier and more fun. We spend a lot of time at home so why shouldn’t we have a great time there? I decided to start Great Home Gear as a way to share my knowledge and enthusiasm for all things home living with everyone.