When it comes to cleaning your dishes Scrub Daddy’s are awesome and work great. They have a non-scratch scrubbing surface that removes stuck-on food goop like nothing else. They are plastic and as time goes on the sponge deteriorates which means little plastic bits are going somewhere down your drain. More than likely after going down your drain they are ending up in the water supply and oceans. Here are the best biodegradable Scrub Daddy Alternatives available today to help you reduce your plastic usage.
The Top Picks
Below are our top picks of the Biodegradable Scrub Daddy Alternatives in our review. The ENEY Eco-Friendly Natural Kitchen sponges do the best job of scrubbing dishes. The SIMPLYCASA Swedish Cloths do the best job when something more absorbent is needed to wipe up messes. The Natural Dish Sponge Vegetable Scrubber is another solid alternative for that strong scrubbing power that Scrub Daddy sponges are famous for.
- The Top Picks
- What is the Scrub Daddy?
- The Original Scrub Daddy
- The Top 5 Best Biodegradable Scrub Daddy Alternatives
- ENEY Eco-Friendly Natural Kitchen Washing Up Sponge
- SIMPLYCASA Swedish Dishcloth Sponge
- Miw Piw Natural Dish Sponge Pack
- IF YOU CARE 100% Natural Sponge Cloths
- Natural Dish Scrubbers, 6 PCS Kitchen Loofah Sponge
- Biodegrable Scrub Daddy Alternative FAQ
- Wrap up
- You might also like:
- Recent Kitchen Articles
What is the Scrub Daddy?
The Scrub Daddy is a sponge that was first shown on the TV show Shark Tank in 2012. Since then it has become the highest grossing product ever pitched on the show. It is a sponge that is rigid when it’s dry or in cold water but gets soft and spongy when in hot water. They have awesome scrubbing ability. Their smiley shape has several functions including be able to clean silverware or utensiles by sliding them through the mouth or eye holes. It is really an excellent product if you don’t take into consideration the environmental impact of it’s plastic composition.
Scrub Daddy is made from recyclable plastic material. You can toss it in your curb side recycling bin when it is too worn out to use again rather than throwing it in the trash can.
- TEMPERATURE CONTROLLED SCRUB – You control your scrubbing power! Scrub Daddy’s FlexTexture foam is firm in cold water for tough scrubbing and soft in warm water for light cleaning. With FlexTexture, you have the right tool for every mess.
- SCRATCH-FREE – Safe to use on over a dozen different surfaces (i.e. glass, stainless steel, cast iron, non-stick coatings, copper, chrome, leather). Use him to wash anything from dinner dishes to the car!
- ODOR RESISTANT – Scrub Daddy is lab tested to not hold odors for up to 8 weeks when properly maintained in addition to resisting stains and rinsing clean after use. Fast dry time prevents molding.
The Top 5 Best Biodegradable Scrub Daddy Alternatives
As an alternative, there are now plant-based sponges and scrubbers, to replace your Scrub Daddy, for cleaning dishes that can be composted in your home compost pile when you are finished with them. As the sponge deteriorates with use, you are not adding plastic to the water supply. The remains of the sponge won’t be around for years later in a landfill or polluting the sea as microplastics. Below are our top 5 picks for the best biodegradable scrub daddy alternatives
- THE PERFECT ALTERNATIVE TO YOUR PLASTIC KITCHEN SPONGE – With a need to reduce our plastic usage, this product utilises a simple natural product as a highly effective replacement to your current kitchen sponge
- 100% PLANT-BASED – Our ENEY kitchen sponges are made from natural, unbleached Loofah, a fast-growing vegetable and part of the cucumber family. As they are a dried plant some sponges may still contain dried seeds.
- 100% PLASTIC-FREE – Did you know most kitchen sponges are made from plastic and will never biodegrade. This product and its packaging are 100% plastic-free and will naturally biodegrade in your compost or landfill.
ENEY Eco-Friendly Natural Kitchen Washing Up Sponges are made from loofah leaves. Because they are made from naturally grown leaves they are plant fiber and will naturally biodegrade in your home compost pile when you’re done with them.
The sponges have enough grit in them for the toughest cleaning job. They don’t quite have the grit of traditional Scotch Brite pads or Scrub Daddy sponges but almost. They can be cleaned in the dishwasher as well between uses. They come in a flattened shape. They will expand to their normal rounded shape after getting wet and used the first time.
Like other loofah sponges, customers thought that they worked well for scrubbing tough stuck-on dirt. The loofah has a good naturally abrasive surface. They will sponge up liquid to some amount but not as good as a traditional sponge.
- Eco-friendly kitchen cloth by SIMPLYCASA is made of 70 % cellulose (wood pulp) & 30% cotton, printed with water based inks. 100% GMO free & Biodegradable. Material is made from Germany. Size: 7 by 8 inches.
- Super absorbent material that absorbs and holds 15 times its weight in water. The cloth is stiff at first, which allows them to be printed with beautiful illustrations but they become very soft and pliable when wet.
- Each dishcloth replaces up to 15 rolls of paper towels and saves earth. This concept will not only save money but will also be friendly to our planet because there will be much less waste.
SIMPLYCASA Swedish Cloths are made of 70 % cellulose (wood pulp) & 30% cotton, 100% chemical-free, printed with water-based inks. They are claimed to be compostable but are not certified. They may compost in a home compost pile. If anyone buys them and tries please comment on the results below.
These cloths are absorbant for cleaning up spills. They are machine washable so can be reused many many times.
Users reported the cloths are very absorbent similar to paper towels but heavier so work well for scrubbing dishes. They do an excellent job wiping up spilled liquids. Users reported they clean up very well when through in the clothes washer with the rest of their laundry.
- 100% Plastic-Free: These bio-degradeable kitchen scrubbies are loufa vegatable, plant-based fibers come with brown paper packaging make them eco-friendly, breathable, sustainable, recyclable replace all kinds of household scrub made from plastic. Toss into compost pile when theyre worn out.
- Clean & Long Lasting: The persistent part of the oldest loofah is selected then sewed 4 layers together to make the organic Loofah dishwasher sponge thick and close enough so that food do not get stuck in it after washing and durable for a year.
- Smart & Handy Design: Water shape design so it can be used on all types of nonstick cookware, pot, pan, glass, dish and fit into a small cup. Besides, it has a little loop on the top to hang it dry quickly.
Miw Piw Natural dish sponge vegetable scrubbers are made from loofah leaves. Because they are made from naturally grown leaves they are plant fiber and will naturally biodegrade in your home compost pile when you’re done with them.
The sponges have enough grit in them for the toughest cleaning job. They can be cleaned in the dishwasher between uses to keep them clean and ready for the next use.
They don’t quite have the grit of traditional Scotch Brite pads or Scrub Daddy sponges but almost. Most users reported they do a good job of scrubbing off messes even on tough cast iron skillets and other not non-stick surfaces.
- If You Care Sponge Cloths are made in a patented process from a three dimensional blending of cellulose, non-GMO unbleached cotton and mirabilite – a natural mineral salt. During the production process, the mirabilite is washed out, leaving the remaining blend (70% cellulose & 30% cotton) extremely porous, which makes the sponge cloth extraordinarily absorbent. It can absorb up to 20 times its own weight in water.
- If You Care Sponge Cloths and their packaging are made from 100% renewable resources and contain no petroleum or other fossil fuel products. Each cloth is reusable and washable many times
- Rinse cloth and wring out excess water to increase absorbency. Use with water, soap and water, or any household cleaner.
If You Care Natural Sponge Cloths are made from 70% Cellulose and 30% unbleached non-GMO cotton. They are BPI and Vincotte certified as compostable. They require an industrial composting facility to breakdown and will not compost in your backyard home composting pile.
They are machine washable and can be reused up to 300 times. The cloths soften when wet for wiping up messes.
Users reported product is on the rigid side when it is dry. After getting damp they soften up and act like traditional towels. They work well for wiping up messes and scrubbing dishes. They do not work that well in situations where you want a softer dry cloth for wiping.
- 100% Eco-Friendly: These kitchen sponges are organic loufa veggies, plant-based fibers come with brown paper packaging make them breathable, sustainable, replace all kinds of scrub made from plastic. Toss into compost pile when theyre worn out.
- Clean & Long Lasting: The persistent part of the oldest loofah， then hand-cut and compress to make the loofah sponge compact enough for easy carrying
- Perfect for cleaning tableware, cookware, countertops, tables, windows, mirrors etc.
Natural Dish Scrubbers are made from natural organic loofah leaves. Because they are made from naturally grown leaves they are plant fiber and will naturally biodegrade in your home compost pile when you’re done with them.
The scrubbers have a rough enough texture to be very good at cleaning dishes. They are porous like a natural sponge for cleaning up spills and other messes. Loofah leaves have a naturally abrasive texture that is almost as abrasive as the Scrub Daddy surface.
Customers reported that loofah sponges aren’t super absorbent so they don’t do a great job at sponging up liquids. They do have an excellent texture for scrubbing dishes clean and work very well. Some people with allergies mentioned having reactions to skin contact. You should use caution if your one who has allergies other natural items.
Biodegrable Scrub Daddy Alternative FAQ
Q: What does Biodegradable mean?
Biodegradable means that a substance will break down by biological processes. Algae, bacteria or other natural forces will cause it to breakdown into its natural components. It can still leave behind metals or other byproduct materials. It doesn’t specify time so some items are biodegradable but may take hundreds of years for the process to complete. Usually, if something is labeled as biodegradable it will break down in a relatively short time span of days to months, not years.
Q: What does Compostable mean?
Compostable means that a substance is made of organic matter that can be broken down back into organic matter that can be reused as soil. Many substances require specific conditions for composting to occur. Something may be compostable but not compostable in your backyard compost pile. Many compostable items require the conditions present in an industrial composting facility to break down. They won’t break down in your home compost pile or in a landfill.
See our article to learn more about the difference between Biodegrable and Compostable Products. or watch the video below.
There are some really good environmentally friendly biodegradable and compostable Scrub Daddy alternatives out there.
You might also like:
- The Best Portable Blenders For Making Smoothies
- Biodegradable Vs Compostable. What Is Better For The Environment?
About the author
My name is Doug Ryan. I am a homeowner and love having get togethers and finding the best things to make spending time at home easier and more fun. We spend a lot of time at home so why shouldn’t we have a great time there? I decided to start Great Home Gear as a way to share my knowledge and enthusiasm for all things home living with everyone.